Gun Control Falacies
A gravely concerned (wearing rosecolored glasses) wrote ... (and I have add notes in full caps)
"We can get a handle on guns, but it will take some very strict controls at the federal level. Given our Constitution, we can't outlaw guns without repealing the Second Amendment...but we could do that. Still there are some common sense things we could do. FIRST FALACY: THE CONSTITUTION DID NOT GRANT US ANY HUMAN RIGHTS ... NETHER DOES IT HAVE ANY LEGAL STANDING TO TAKE HUMAN RIGHTS AWAY. THE AMENDMENTS WERE SIMPLY A LIST OF THE ONES THEY FELT HAD MAJOR SIGNIFICANCE.
1) We could require extensive background checks for all purchases of guns, including private sales. SECOND FALACY: BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE NOT RELIABLE ... AS HAS BEEN PROVEN OVER AN OVER AGAIN THROUGH THE FAILURES OF EXISTING RULES OF THIS KIND. AND THERE IS THE QUESTION OF WHO WRITES THE RULES AND WHAT ABOUT THEIR THE CONCOMITANT POLITICAL AGENDAS?
2) We could require all gun owners to register their weapons and obtain permits that would only be issued after successful completion of testing and shoot don't shoot scenarios. THIRD DALACY: LISTS OFOWNERS AND INDIVIDUAL WEAPONS HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO HAVE NEGATIVE REPURCUSSIONS INCLUDING POLITICAL TARGETING SUCH AS WHAT WAS SEEN IN GERMANY (AND MANY OTHER COUNTRYS THROUGHOUT HISTORY) DURING CONFISCAION CAMPAIGNS. THEY FOUND OUT ARMED CITIZENS WOULDN'T VOLUNTARILY CLIMB INTO BOXCARS.
3) We could enact stricter gun punishments for gun owners who let their guns fall into the hands of those that would cause harm even when they mistakenly shoot someone. Make them responsible for every bullet that comes out of their gun, whether they fired the gun or not. This would make them think twice about being responsible gun owners. FOURTH FALACY: THE IDEA OF BLAMING SOMEONE FOR SOMETHING THEY DID'T DO IS REPUGNANT TO ANY THINKING HUMAN BEING. THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN FEAR-MONGERING.
4) Require every gun owner to carry gun owner insurance FIFTH FALACY: SERIOUSLY, WHAT INSURANCE COMPANY WOULD EVER INSURE SUCH A THING ... AND EVEN IF THE DID THE COST WOULD BE PROHIBITIVE AND THAT WOULD BE FOUND UNCONSTITUTIONAL AS IT WOULD BE SEEN AS A FLAGRANT ATTEMPT TOCIRCUMVENT THE CONSTITUTION.
5) Get rid of stand your ground laws, and enact tougher laws that do not protect gun owners if they shoot someone just to protect their property. It's illegal anyway, but make it tougher to get off when shooting someone just because they broke into your home....most burglars aren't there to do you harm they just want your TV. If the person breaking into the home didn't have a deadly weapon drawn that should be prima facia evidence that they were not there to harm you and if you shoot them you should be charged with murder should they die. SIXTH FALACY: THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT SOMEONE WHO BREAKS INTO YOUR HOME WILL BE SATISFIED WITH JUST STEALING THINGS. SO THIS SUPPOSED "STRICTNESS" RULE FALLS APART. EVEN THE POLICE ARE PROTECTED IN MOST PLACES WITH THE "I FELT THREATENED" RULE. EVEN MORE AT ISSUE IS THE IDEA THAT A WEAPON NEED NOT BE PRESENT SINCE MANY CRIMINALS ARE CONTENT WITH RAPE ... OR EVEN JUST BEATING SOMEONE TO DEATH. A 110LB WOMAN IS GOING NOT GOING TO STOP A 220LB THUG INTENT ON RAPE.
6) Outlaw all assault weapons and high capacity magazines, (over 6 rounds)
7) Enact laws that make manufactures mark every casing and track who the ammo was sold to." SEVENTH FALACY: THE WRITER OF #5 ABOVE JUST GAVE THAT 220LB THUG THE RIGHT TO BEAT YOU SENSLESS SINCE HE WAS NOT CARRYING A WEAPON AND YOU WERE INCAPABLE OF DEFENDING YOURSELF. NOW HE HAS STOLEN YOUR REGISTERED WEAPON AND HE PLANS ON USING THAT WEAPON IN HIS NEXT CAPER ... SO AND IN ADDITION, YOU SUDDENLY BECOME LIABLE (#3 ABOVE) FOR EVERYTHING THE THUG DOES WITH THE STOLEN GUN. (GOOD LUCK WITH THAT INSURANCE POLICY TOO)
WE NEED TO STOP CHASING GHOSTS. WE NEED TO GET AT THE CAUSE OF VIOLENCE. HERE ARE SOME PLACES TO START LOOKING.
A. THE GREATEST MAJORITY OF OUR NATIONAL BUDGET IS SPENT ON WHAT THEY CALL DEFENSE. IT IS THE MILITARY/INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX GONE WILD. THEY MAKE AND SELL GUNS AND IT IS FAR TO PROFITBLE TO LET PROLIFERATION STOP.
B. CRIMINALS COMMONLY IGNORE LAWS ... THEY WON'T STOP JUST BECAUSE YOU WRITE MORE LAWS.
C. LOOK TO YOUR FAVORITE MEDIA, TV, RADIO, MOVES, NEWS, OR WHAT HAVE YOU. WHAT DO THEY FOCUS ON ... VIOLENCE.
D. STOP LISTENING TO THOSE WHO WOULD TRY TO PROVE EVERTHING USING THEIR OPINIONS BASED ON STATITICS ALONE.
E. START FORMULATING AN ACTION PLAN OF YOUR OWN ... THEN HELP FORM A GROUP. USE COMMON SENSE NOT POITICAL JARGON AND POPULAR CATCH PHRASES.
F. LOOK FOR REALISTIC ANSWERS TO VIOLENCE RATHER THAN JOINING THE BAN EVERYTHING PHASE.